Sunday, January 11, 2015

DIY Furniture! Torched Wood Nightstand




Well I have always been creative. I have always loved redoing furniture. I recall when I lived in Brooklyn when I was younger I made my dresser and and the border to my bedroom look like marble using nothing but shoe polish...lol. 

Well with three boys in the house I go through a lot of furniture.
 We had got this really nice set of wood tables and the kids scratched them up through instead of dumping them we decided to bring them back to life. 

My husband has always taught the boys to be boys. To get dirty, work hard, and to know their way around a tool box. So when it came time to sand down the tables. My oldest son who is 8, took charge and grabbed the sander and got down.
As you can see he did an awesome job sanding down the tables. 
He went at it one night. Just my husband and him sanding the tables listening to some country music and having some bonding time. My son enjoyed it and was so impressed with what he did.
Yes he did the WHOLE table by himself!


Well we could not decide what color we wanted to go with. 
My husband and I debated about staining or painting or different techniques to use but we could not agree. So this is what the tables sat at looking like for months in my living room.


Then the other night while searching the internet my husband came across a technique that used a blow torch to just burn the wood. Of course since we had a blow torch laying around on a Sunday afternoon we decided to just give it a try. 
Here is the nightstand now after my skills with the blow torch! 

I was so impressed with this but I wanted to take this a step further and give it a shiny coat. My husband then sprayed Helsmens Clear Sealer which really brought out the color of the wood that was not burnt and really gave that WOW effect to the wood that was burnt. 

I am super excited. I can not wait to sand down the coffee table and add some wrought iron fixtures! 

If your going to do this yourself... 
Here a few things that I learned while doing the project.
It was cool using the blow torch it was like painting with a paint brush. BUT you must be careful and you must not stay in one spot for two long or else you will leave burn holes. BUT there is no wrong way of doing it. It is kind of your canvas so you can go as light or as dark or as heavy or burnt as you wish.  
Of course I would always research you tube videos and make sure your staying safe! 

HAPPY COUPONING!

1 comment:

  1. anthropologie coupon


    Thanks for sharing this amazing article, it is very informative post good work keep it up.

    ReplyDelete