Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Christmas for the Thrifty!


Well for the last few weeks I have been getting ready for Christmas. I love decorating the yard but usually it is with lights and some stuff here and there. This year with the kids getting older my husband and I want to start collecting cool stuff to decorate so one day I can be the House that everyone wants to drive by. 

So far this weekend I managed to get a ton of lights at a garage sale, a light up animated snowmen on see saw, and a few vintage air blown figures of course all for a great price. Here is one of three Vintage Candles that I picked up for $1.00!
 
Lately I have been looking at some do it yourself stuff and wished I could be so crafty. I am far from being Martha Stewart. 

Today I was at the Good Will and found a huge plastic bowling set for $3.16 after doing some research seems they sell bran new for over $40.00 (gooddeal). I figured alright I have three boys and two of them are very close in age and well all I saw in my head  where them using it to hit each other with and well I was about to put them back. Then I thought there has to be something else I can do with these. So I ripped out the Iphone and googled Bowling Pin Craft and found that I can make snowmen!
 So here is what I started with..



After dinner that night I was excited to see if maybe I can be your Thrifty Martha Sterwart so I decided to make my first one. I had a red sock laying around and I put it on his head. I took a pair of stockings and cut a piece off and tied it around his kneck. I had my friend drop me off a Sharpie and I drew some eyes/ I took out the nailpolish and drew an orange nose (I coupon don't forget and I have Wet N Wild in every shade)!  I used the Sharpie and dotted a mouth and colored in my buttons. Wala a perfectly cute snowman.

I did not stop there... I mean I have 9 more pins left.....

I was going to make them all the same but my husband insisted I make different ones. So that is what I decided to do and I numbered and signed each one of them. Hey you never know. This post can go viral and I can sell them off on ebay for a huge profit. 
Merry Christmas to me!!! But back to reality... 
Here is #2 Which is the Olaf Version


Snowman #3 was made with the same concept but for the clothes I used one of the babies socks and had an old Transformer Halloween Costume that I cut up because I needed some scarfs.

Snowman #4 I went a bit plain with but he is just as cute as the rest of them. I did add some hair and made his tongue stick out. LOL
Snowman #5 was a bit of a mess up. I forgot I used the Nail Polish for his nose and when I went to add the hat it smeared the nailpolish all over his face. So I decided to put a ski mask on him to cover the mess. My son calls this one the robber. I even gave him legs so he can run away...... I know I am very corney!
Snowman #6 I decided for it to be a bit more flamboant so I gave it a great smile and some great teeth to go with it. I think he looks snowablous.
Snowman #7 was another Olaf version as you can see I utilized my Wet N Wild Nailpolish to make the nose orange. I did add a scarf later but just wanted to show you that you can utilize what you have to make this or anything work.

Snowman #8 I decided to make a more happier one. Again I used the old Halloween Costume to make a hat and a scarf. The possibilities are endless but this is my happy one.
Snowman #9 was designed by Nicholas. 
Since the kids where so excited about my Snowman 
(I think they where excited Mommy finally made something cool) they wanted to make one too. My 6 year old told me how he wanted his Snowman to look and he used some garland and the babies sock to complete his snowman.

Snowman #10 was designed by Christopher. He wanted a clear nose, funny eyes, and a dotted mouth. He used the garland also but added some to the hat as well. He didn't want to use the babies sock so he took one of his brothers. 


I think all in all they came out pretty neat. Plus when I am done with them I can put them back in their nice storage bag till next year. I just created family heirlooms! I am so proud of myself that I actually made these. They are going to look amazing when I am completely done.


But I did not stop there I even got my husband involved and made them into light up snowman. WHAT? Yeap hubby drilled the hole and inserted the lights. As you can see I do need to get a better marker or paint to make them complete but the project was cute, fun, easy, and cheap. Plus who else in the neighborhood will have Light Up Bowling Pin Snowman?

HAPPY COUPONING!

No comments:

Post a Comment